Re: FW: Creating DataBases on Suse LINUX Platform

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Cook, Larry ISC" <Larry(dot)Cook(at)isc(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: Creating DataBases on Suse LINUX Platform
Date: 2005-04-12 15:48:40
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Cook, Larry ISC" <Larry(dot)Cook(at)isc(dot)ca> writes:
> ...however, still get the same error message --> could not connect to
> database template1: FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "postgres".

If you really are logged in as postgres, the only other reason for this
failure that I can think of is that the postmaster couldn't verify your
identity. That should always work if you are connecting to it via a
Unix socket ... but if you are connecting via TCP/IP then that requires
an ident daemon, which most people don't run by default. So maybe the
problem is you are specifying "-h localhost" or some variant?

Worst case, you could turn off the authentication check (by changing
pg_hba.conf) for long enough to create some initial user accounts.
But it'd be better to figure out what's going wrong, because it really
should work.