simple limit of decimals

From: pere roca <peroc79(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: simple limit of decimals
Date: 2009-01-14 12:43:35
Lists: pgsql-general

hi all,

I update a column based on a division over two real values. It causes a huge
number of decimals that I wanna to limit.

UPDATE point_pol SET taxa_record = ((SELECT ((CASE WHEN numtax>0 THEN
numtax/numreg ELSE 1 END))) where userid='hello'

taxa_record values are real and with real I cannot limit the decimals.
I tried to apply a round in the sql sentence but complains that round must
be applied to a single value each time.

how can I solve it? maybe using numeric? (but I have read numeric reduces
performance...)
thanks!

Pere