Re: pgBackRest 2.52 - New upstream version

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: Bradford Boyle <bradford(dot)d(dot)boyle(at)gmail(dot)com>, Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-pkg-debian(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgBackRest 2.52 - New upstream version
Date: 2024-06-03 22:33:29
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

On 6/4/24 06:41, Bradford Boyle wrote:
> Hi Christoph,
>
>> But unfortunately, bullseye and focal are not happy:
>>
>> ../meson.build:117:0: ERROR: <ExternalProgram 'python3' -> ['/usr/bin/python3']> is not a valid python or it is missing setuptools
>>
>> (Interestingly, buster is happy with the meson+python3 combination)
>
> I will take a look at this later today and see if I can identify and
> push a fix.

This is actually a bug/typo in older versions of meson. What is actually
required (in some cases) is python3-distutils. See
https://github.com/pgbackrest/pgbackrest/commit/e00e33b52. The purpose
of this commit is to not hardcode the python bin.

However, this requirement is only for certain older (but not too old)
versions of Debian/Ubuntu. Ubuntu 24.04, for instance, does not have
this package and works fine without it. Of the Ubuntu versions only
focal seems to require it. The only Debian version we currently have in
CI, stretch, does not require it.

It's a bit of a mess, but looks like we need to install
python3-distutils just for bullseye and focal as a build dependency. Is
that possible?

Regards,
-David