Re: What is a typical precision of gettimeofday()?

From: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannuk(at)google(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What is a typical precision of gettimeofday()?
Date: 2024-07-03 05:43:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2 Jul 2024, at 22:20, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>
> It sure looks like this is exact-to-the-nanosecond results,
> since the modal values match the overall per-loop timing,
> and there are no zero measurements.

That’s a very interesting result, from the UUID POV!
If time is almost always advancing, using time readings instead of a counter is very reasonable: we have interprocess monotonicity almost for free.
Though time is advancing in a very small steps… RFC assumes that we use microseconds, I’m not sure it’s ok to use 10 more bits for nanoseconds…

Thanks!

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.