multiple databases vs multiple clusters on the same host

From: Eugene Ostrovsky <e79ene(at)yandex(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: multiple databases vs multiple clusters on the same host
Date: 2013-09-28 18:12:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello!

I would like to find out what is the difference in hardware resources consuming between two solutions:
1. Several databases in the same postgresql cluster
2. Several clusters (one per each database) on the same host

Currently I have about 10 databases in the same cluster. For some reasons I'm going to switch to using separate clusters on the same machine. I suspect that this could affect the performance.

Any ideas on how much more hardware resources will be consumed?

Thanks.