Re: Where is my app installed?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Arbol One <ArbolOne(at)hotmail(dot)ca>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Where is my app installed?
Date: 2024-08-23 02:21:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> writes:
> On 8/22/24 17:36, Arbol One wrote:
>> After installing PostgreSQL on my Debian-12 machine, I typed 'postgres
>> --version' and got this msg:
>> *bash: postgres: command not found*
>> 'psql --version', however, does work and gives me this message :
>> *psql (PostgreSQL) 16.3 (Debian 16.3-1.pgdg120+1)*
>> Obviously postgres is not in the path, but I don't know where the
>> 'apt-get' installed it or why it did not add it to the path.

> As to where the postgres command is:
> ls -al /usr/lib/postgresql/16/bin/

Theory 1: postgres is packaged in a "postgresql-server" package
and the OP only installed the base (client-side) package.

Theory 2: postgres is installed into some directory not in the OP's
PATH, such as /usr/sbin. Since it's primarily used as a daemon,
this'd be a reasonable thing for a packager to do.

I'd bet a nickel on #1, though, because I've not seen too many
packagers put postgres somewhere other than where they put psql.
"Separate server package" is extremely common though.