Re: adding PGPASSWORDFILE to libpq

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: adding PGPASSWORDFILE to libpq
Date: 2002-08-10 05:13:37
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Alvaro Herrera writes:
>> Currently the format for the file should be
>> host:port:database:user:password

> I think just the password. If you need a different password, select a
> different file.
> The sort of format you propose makes it much too convenient for users to
> build password databases in files, which kind of defeats the point of
> passwords.

Why is it better to make the user's life more difficult? If I have
several different database passwords to keep track of, and I'm going
to store them in $HOME/.foo files, I'd rather keep them all in one such
.foo file. That means only one file to get the permissions right on.
I am not aware of *any* other Unix utility that diverges from this
scheme: cvs does it that way, ftp does it that way, ssh does it that
way, xauth does it that way ... need I go on?