Re: problem with my function

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6(at)bcbsm(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem with my function
Date: 2002-05-24 20:21:29
Lists: pgsql-general

"Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6(at)bcbsm(dot)com> writes:
> drop function t_fastfunc(integer);
> create function t_fastfunc(integer)
> returns interger

Try spelling "integer" correctly.

> psql:./function_cnt.sql:18: NOTICE: ProcedureCreate: return type 'interger'
> is only a shell
> Question: What exactly is it tryiing to tell me about not returning a value?
> And could someone explain what it means by 'only a shell'?

It's trying to warn you that you are getting into deep waters. When you
create a function that's declared to return a previously-unheard-of type
name, the system will take it, on the possibility that you are trying to
create the input function for a type you are about to declare. So
there's an entry made in pg_type ... but it's only a "shell" not a
completed type, and you can't do anything else with it until you declare
the type properly.