Re: Update

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kyle <kyle(at)Actarg(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update
Date: 2001-04-13 03:03:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

Kyle <kyle(at)Actarg(dot)com> writes:
> It appears that the first function would get evaluated first under 7.0.3
> but the last function gets evaluated first under 7.1. Is that accurate?

Actually, I was under the impression that (all else being equal) WHERE
clauses would get evaluated right-to-left in 7.0.* as well. I was
meaning to figure out where the clause order reversal is happening and
undo it, but didn't get around to it for 7.1.

> Is there a way to control which functions are given precidence?

Nope, not at the moment. The code has remnants of a notion of cost of
evaluation for functions, but it's not being used for anything ...