Re: BUG #11550: Error messages contain not encodable characters (Latin9)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, willmis(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #11550: Error messages contain not encodable characters (Latin9)
Date: 2014-10-03 13:42:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> writes:
> Can we fix this? It's annoying that you can't use LATIN9 with a German
> locale, as that is the most common encoding used with German, aside from
> UTF-8.

I would think that would be a matter to be taken up with the translation
people. If a particular set of translated messages is using quote
characters that don't exist in every encoding commonly used with that
language, then it's arguable that the translator made a poor choice
of quote characters. (Likewise for any other special characters of
course.)