Re: Object like pg_class.relkind = 's' or 'c' have on-disk file?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Object like pg_class.relkind = 's' or 'c' have on-disk file?
Date: 2005-03-17 06:35:33
Lists: pgsql-general

"Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu> writes:
> Pg_xactlock is always there as a special relation.

pg_xactlock isn't really a relation. The way I think about it is that
it's a dummy entry in pg_class that exists to reserve a relation OID
for a specific purpose --- namely, we can lock transaction IDs by
locking what would otherwise be a page of that relation.

There was some talk recently about reorganizing the locktag design
so that transaction lock tags would be clearly distinguishable from
any lock associated with a relation. If we got that done, there'd
be no need for the pg_xactlock entry at all.

> I am not sure about 'c'.

'c' entries in pg_class are for composite types. They don't have
any associated disk storage either.