Re: Locale support is now on by default

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Locale support is now on by default
Date: 2002-04-04 04:30:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>> If you would prefer LOG down near INFO in the server message levels,
>> please post the idea and let's get some more comments from folks.

> LOG should be below WARNING, in any case. Perhaps between NOTICE and
> WARNING, but I'm not so sure about that.

I think the ordering Bruce developed is appropriate for logging.
There are good reasons to think that per-query ERRORs are less
interesting than LOG events for admin logging purposes.

The real problem here is that in the initdb context, we are really
dealing with an *interactive* situation, where LOG events ought to
be treated in the client-oriented scale --- but the backend does
not know this, it thinks it is emitting messages to the system log.

I'm thinking that the mistake is in hard-wiring one scale of message
interest to control the frontend output and another one to the "log"
(stderr/syslog) output. Perhaps we should have a notion of "interactive"
message priorities vs "logging" message priorities, and allow either
scale to be used to control which messages are dispatched to any
message destination.