Re: [HACKERS] Max query string length

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ansley, Michael" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Max query string length
Date: 1999-07-26 14:21:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Ansley, Michael" <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec(dot)co(dot)za> writes:
> As far as the buffer struct, and code goes, is there anything around which
> does this already? If not, I thought of placing it somewhere where all the
> modules can access it, as I will probably land up using it in more places
> than just psql. Thoughts, screams of laughter, etc....

There is a simple expansible-string module in the backend already;
see backend/lib/stringinfo.c. It could use some improvements but
I'd suggest enhancing it rather than making another one.

> Lastly, when I ran configure, I included the --enable-cassert switch.
> However, this does not seem to force the compiler to include debug info,
> i.e.: --enable-debug. I tried the --enable-debug switch as well, but it
> didn't seem to have any effect. Am I missing something?

There is no --enable-debug switch. You have to turn on debug by
modifying the CFLAGS line in the template file for your system.
(Hmm, now that you mention it, --enable-debug would be a cleaner
solution than keeping a locally modified template file, which is
what I currently do and most of the other developers probably do
also ... another to-do item ...)