Re: polymorphic function in 7.4 vs. 8.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Rosenberg <richrosenberg(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: polymorphic function in 7.4 vs. 8.3
Date: 2009-06-11 21:49:46
Lists: pgsql-sql

Richard Rosenberg <richrosenberg(at)earthlink(dot)net> writes:
> Tom, thanks for your prompt reply. I think I may have my head on straight now,
> this should work:

Yeah, but you're still out of luck on 7.4. Its plpgsql doesn't have any
ability to pass whole-row variables into expressions. I don't see any
answer for you except breaking down the row into columns, which of
course is going to be a huge notational PITA.

Sure you can't move the DB off 7.4? There would be pretty considerable
benefits from adopting some recent release instead.