Can't drop table

From: Hima Surapaneni <hbsur1(at)student(dot)monash(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Can't drop table
Date: 2006-07-02 22:30:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

I have created a table called experimenters with the following query:

CREATE TABLE experimenters (
experimenter_id INTEGER CONSTRAINT firstkey PRIMARY KEY,
first_name CHAR(20),
last_name CHAR(25),
address CHAR(30),
phone_num CHAR(15)
);

The query was successful. But when I try to drop or alter the table, it just hangs without echoing any error message. I have to cancel the query to get out.

I ran the following query to drop the table

DROP TABLE experimenters;

It also hangs when I try to alter the table.

Just don't understand the problem here.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hima