Re: not null constraints, again

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Tender Wang <tndrwang(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: not null constraints, again
Date: 2024-10-14 16:06:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-Oct-10, jian he wrote:

> tricky case:
> drop table if exists part, part0 cascade;
> create table part (a int not null) partition by range (a);
> create table part0 (a int primary key);
> alter table part attach partition part0 for values from (0) to (1000);
> alter table ONLY part add primary key(a);
> alter table ONLY part drop constraint part_a_not_null;
> -- alter table ONLY part alter column a drop not null;
>

> Now we are in a state where a partitioned
> table have a primary key but doesn't have a not-null constraint for it.

Oh, of course! This means that the comment in RelationGetIndexList
(reverted in 6f8bb7c1e961) was incorrect: it was not only about
pg_dump's strategy for dumping PKs in partitioned tables, but it was
also about protecting those not-nulls under PKs for the same tables. By
removing it (which I did when I forward-ported the reversal of the
reversal) I removed that protection, and failed to notice because we
don't have this test case.

Anyway, I put it back, fixing the comment; and I also had to change
RelationGetPrimaryKeyIndex API to have an additional "bool deferrable_ok"
parameter, so that it knows it can return a deferrable PK. This is
needed by the code just added in dropconstraint_internal().

I also added your test case.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
Officer Krupke, what are we to do?

Attachment Content-Type Size
v10-0001-Catalog-not-null-constraints.patch text/x-diff 326.1 KB