Re: Enhance create subscription reference manual

From: Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2024-10-02 05:19:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 02 Oct 2024 12:15:50 +0900 (JST)
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Currently the manual explains create subscription's "failover"
> parameter as follows:
>
> <para>
> Since no connection is made when this option is
> <literal>false</literal>, no tables are subscribed. To initiate
> replication, you must manually create the replication slot, enable
> the failover if required, enable the subscription, and refresh the
> subscription. See
> <xref linkend="logical-replication-subscription-examples-deferred-slot"/>
> for examples.
> </para>
>
> While translating it into Japanese, we were little confused what "the
> failover" actually means because we thought it might refer to the
> failover operation or the failover parameter in the command. After a
> discussion in the translation team, we concluded that it must refer to
> the failover parameter. If we were correct, it would be nice to add
> <literal> tag to "failover" to make it clear that it refers to a
> failover parameter. Attached is the patch to do that.

I agreed with adding <literal> tag to "failover" since it is done in the
description on "slot_name" parameter.

How about also rewrite it to "enable the failover option" rather than simply
"enable the failover" to clarify that the parameter is refereed to.

We could also use "enable the failover parameter". I think both make sense, but
it seems that "failover option" is preferred in the slot_name description.

Regards,
Yugo Nagata

--
Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>