Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes

From: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Date: 2024-09-30 05:20:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 28 Sep 2024 21:19:11 -0400
Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2024 at 02:19:21PM +0900, Yugo Nagata wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 May 2024 00:03:50 -0400
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> >
> > > I have committed the first draft of the PG 17 release notes; you can
> > > see the results here:
> >
> > I propose to improve the following description in "Migration to Version 17"
> > section by adding CREATE INDEX and CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW into the command list.
> >
> > <para>
> > Change functions to use a safe <xref linkend="guc-search-path"/>
> > during maintenance operations (Jeff Davis)
> > <ulink url="&commit_baseurl;2af07e2f7">&sect;</ulink>
> > </para>
> >
> > It is suggested in the thread [1] that users could not notice the behaviour
> > of CREATE INDEX is changed because the explicit command name is not listed in
> > the release notes. So, I think it is better to add CREATE INDEX and
> > CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW into the command list.
> >
> > I've attached a patch.
>
> It this a valid change? Seems so.

Yes. This change on CREATE INDEX was introduced by 2af07e2f7 together with
other commands, but it was missed to be mentioned in the commit message
although the description was added to the documentation.

The change on CEATE MATERIALIZED VIEW was introduced by a separate commit
b4da732fd, since which the REFRESH logic is used when creating a matview.
Should we add here a link to that commit, too?

Regards,
Yugo Nagata

--
Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>