Re: glibc updarte 2.31 to 2.38

From: "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: glibc updarte 2.31 to 2.38
Date: 2024-09-22 19:47:25
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2024-09-22 09:53:58 -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 9/22/24 09:48, Paul Förster wrote:
> > Then I strongly suggest that the PostgreSQL developers develop a
> > fail safe sorting mechanism that holds for generations of locale
> > changes.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/17/release-17.html#RELEASE-17-HIGHLIGHTS
>
> Add a builtin platform-independent collation provider (Jeff Davis)
>
> This supports C and C.UTF-8 collations.

Couldn't you always use "C" collation?

The problem with that is that most people[1] want stuff ordered
according to the rules of their language and C collation is in most
cases very different.

hp

[1] I actually have LC_COLLATE=POSIX set in the shell. But I'm not
normal.

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Story must make more sense than reality.
|_|_) | |
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | challenge!"