Re: update faster way

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: yudhi s <learnerdatabase99(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: update faster way
Date: 2024-09-17 08:28:45
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2024-Sep-14, yudhi s wrote:

> Hello,
> We have to update a column value(from numbers like '123' to codes like
> 'abc' by looking into a reference table data) in a partitioned table with
> billions of rows in it, with each partition having 100's millions rows.

Another option is to not update anything, and instead create a view on
top of the partitioned table (joined to the reference table) that
returns the reference value instead of the original number value from
the column; when the application wants to receive those reference
values, it queries the view instead of the partitioned table directly.

--
Álvaro Herrera 48°01'N 7°57'E — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"I think my standards have lowered enough that now I think 'good design'