Re: Error:could not extend file " with FileFallocate(): No space left on device

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Pecsök Ján <jan(dot)pecsok(at)profinit(dot)eu>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Error:could not extend file " with FileFallocate(): No space left on device
Date: 2024-09-11 09:55:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello Ján,

On 2024-Sep-10, Pecsök Ján wrote:

> After upgrade of Posgres from version 13.5 to 16.2 we experience following error:
> could not extend file "pg_tblspc/16401/PG_16_202307071/17820/3968302971" with FileFallocate(): No space left on device
>
> We cannot easily replicate problem. It happens at randomly every 1-2 weeks of intensive query computation.
> Was there some changes in space allocation from Posgres 13.5 to Posgres 16.2?
>
> Database has size 91TB and has 27TB more space available.

Yes, there were some changes in that area. I have a report from
somebody running EPAS 16 which has a problem that looks pretty much the
same as yours -- and the code is essentially identical. I gave them the
attached patch, hoping that it would shed some light ... but so far,
we've been unable to capture any useful intel.

I'm going to propose this patch for the next set of minors, but that's
in November, so if you're in a hurry and want to risk rebuilding
Postgres and see if you get any better error messages with it than with
the original, here it is. (Note that the patch doesn't change any
behavior, it just report more things when a problem occurs.)

I'm CCing Thomas Munro and Andres Freund, who authored the new code.

--
Álvaro Herrera 48°01'N 7°57'E — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"El sudor es la mejor cura para un pensamiento enfermo" (Bardia)

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Add-some-debugging-around-mdzeroextend.patch text/x-diff 2.7 KB