Re: MultiXact\SLRU buffers configuration

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Borodin <amborodin86(at)gmail(dot)com>, Yura Sokolov <y(dot)sokolov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Gilles Darold <gilles(at)darold(dot)net>, Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers mailing list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MultiXact\SLRU buffers configuration
Date: 2024-08-22 14:36:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024-Aug-22, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2024 at 01:55:06PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > Also, maybe it'd make sense for stats to be globally enabled, and that
> > only the tests that require it would disable them? (It's probably easy
> > enough to have a value "injection_points.stats=auto" which means, if the
> > module is loaded in shared_preload_libraries them set stats on,
> > otherwise turn them off.)
>
> I'm not sure that we need to get down to that until somebody has a
> case where they want to rely on stats of injection points for their
> stuff. At this stage, I only want the stats to be enabled to provide
> automated checks for the custom pgstats APIs, so disabling it by
> default and enabling it only in the stats test of the module
> injection_points sounds kind of enough to me for now.

Oh! I thought the stats were useful by themselves. That not being the
case, I agree with simplifying; and the other ways to enhance this point
might not be necessary for now.

> > Or give the _LOAD() macro a boolean argument to
> > indicate whether to collect stats for that injection point or not.
>
> Sticking some knowledge about the stats in the backend part of
> injection points does not sound like a good idea to me.

You could flip this around: have the bool be for "this injection point
is going to be invoked inside a critical section". Then core code just
needs to tell the injection points module what core code does, and it's
injection_points that decides what to do with that information.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Crear es tan difícil como ser libre" (Elsa Triolet)