Re: unable to upgrade postgres extensions

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: plsqlvids01 plsqlvids01 <plsqlvids01(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unable to upgrade postgres extensions
Date: 2024-08-21 22:09:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2024-Aug-21, plsqlvids01 plsqlvids01 wrote:

> AWS RDS Postgres database on v12.17 is upgraded to v16.1, as per
> https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonRDS/latest/PostgreSQLReleaseNotes/postgresql-extensions.html#postgresql-extensions-16x
> am
> trying to upgrade pg_cron and pgaudit extensions but it keeps throwing the
> same error, how to upgrade them?

> postgres=> select * from pg_available_extensions where name in
> ('pgaudit','pg_cron');
> name | default_version | installed_version |
> comment---------+-----------------+-------------------+---------------------------------
> pgaudit | 16.0 | 1.4.3 | provides auditing functionality
> pg_cron | 1.6 | 1.6 | Job scheduler for PostgreSQL
>
> postgres=> ALTER EXTENSION pgaudit update to "16.0";
> ERROR: extension "pgaudit" has no update path from version "1.4.3" to
> version "16.0"

That sounds like an RDS problem, so you should be talking to Amazon
support. But maybe see in "select * from
pg_available_extension_versions" if the versions their docco claims are
available, actually are. Also, the fact that a version is available
does not automatically mean that an upgrade path exists; you may need to
do the upgrade in multiple jumps, for instance for pgAudit go from 1.4.3
to 1.6.2 first, then to 1.7.0 finally to 16.0.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"How strange it is to find the words "Perl" and "saner" in such close