Re: pg_verifybackup: TAR format backup verification

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Sravan Kumar <sravanvcybage(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_verifybackup: TAR format backup verification
Date: 2024-07-31 20:57:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2024-07-31 16:07:03 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2024 at 9:28 AM Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Fixed -- I did that because it was part of a separate group in pg_basebackup.
>
> Well, that's because pg_basebackup builds multiple executables, and
> these files needed to be linked with some but not others. It looks
> like when Andres added meson support, instead of linking each object
> file into the binaries that need it, he had it just build a static
> library and link every executable to that. That puts the linker in
> charge of sorting out which binaries need which files, instead of
> having the makefile do it.

Right. Meson supports using the same file with different compilation flags,
depending on the context its used (i.e. as part of an executable or a shared
library). But that also ends up compiling files multiple times when using the
same file in multiple binaries. Which wasn't desirable here -> hence moving it
to a static lib.

> > Fixed -- frontend_common_code now includes lz4 as well.
>
> Cool. 0003 overall looks good to me now, unless Andres wants to object.

Nope.

Greetings,

Andres Freund