Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes

From: Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Date: 2024-07-26 04:22:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Thu, 9 May 2024 00:03:50 -0400
Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> I have committed the first draft of the PG 17 release notes; you can
> see the results here:
>
> https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-17.html
>
> It will be improved until the final release. The item count is 188,
> which is similar to recent releases:
>
> release-10: 189
> release-11: 170
> release-12: 180
> release-13: 178
> release-14: 220
> release-15: 184
> release-16: 206
> release-17: 188
>
> I welcome feedback. For some reason it was an easier job than usual.

I found the following in the release notes:

Change file boundary handling of two WAL file name functions
(Kyotaro Horiguchi, Andres Freund, Bruce Momjian)

The functions pg_walfile_name() and pg_walfile_name_offset() used to report the previous
LSN segment number when the LSN was on a file segment boundary; it now returns the LSN segment.

It might be trivial, but, reading the associated commit message , I think it would be more explicit
for users to rewrite the last statement to

"it now returns the current LSN segment."

Regards,
Yugo Nagata

--
Yugo Nagata <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>