Re: Should we work around msvc failing to compile tab-complete.c?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Should we work around msvc failing to compile tab-complete.c?
Date: 2024-07-10 17:05:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2024-07-10 10:55:50 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> What is more relevant is that as far as I can see, we've never actually
> supported either libedit or readline in MSVC++ builds - which kinda makes
> sense because Windows terminals are very different from traditional *nix
> ones. Windows isn't supported by either libedit or readline as far as I can
> see, except through a couple of forks.
>
> I imagine from mingw/cygwin builds, readline would only actually work
> properly in their respective terminals.

FWIW, if you can get readline to build (using something like [1] or one of the
forks that add the support) these days it does work even in the plain windows
"command prompt".

The only obvious thing that doesn't seem to work is ctrl-c cancelling queries
rather than terminating psql. But I think that's an issue independent of
readline.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

[1] https://github.com/msys2/MINGW-packages/tree/master/mingw-w64-readline

Attachment Content-Type Size
2024-07-10T10:04:33,962518710-07:00.png image/png 166.6 KB