Re: Pluggable cumulative statistics

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pluggable cumulative statistics
Date: 2024-06-21 04:09:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 13 Jun 2024 16:59:50 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote in
> * The kind IDs may change across restarts, meaning that any stats data
> associated to a custom kind is stored with the *name* of the custom
> stats kind. Depending on the discussion happening here, I'd be open
> to use the same concept as custom RMGRs, where custom kind IDs are
> "reserved", fixed in time, and tracked in the Postgres wiki. It is
> cheaper to store the stats this way, as well, while managing conflicts
> across extensions available in the community ecosystem.

I prefer to avoid having a central database if possible.

If we don't intend to move stats data alone out of a cluster for use
in another one, can't we store the relationship between stats names
and numeric IDs (or index numbers) in a separate file, which is loaded
just before and synced just after extension preloading finishes?

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center