Re: IPC::Run accepts bug reports

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: IPC::Run accepts bug reports
Date: 2024-06-17 18:11:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2024-06-15 16:48:24 -0700, Noah Misch wrote:
> Separating this from the pytest thread:
>
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2024 at 01:26:57PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > The one
> > thing I know about that *I* think is a pretty big problem about Perl
> > is that IPC::Run is not really maintained.
>
> I don't see in https://github.com/cpan-authors/IPC-Run/issues anything
> affecting PostgreSQL. If you know of IPC::Run defects, please report them.
> If I knew of an IPC::Run defect affecting PostgreSQL, I likely would work on
> it before absurdity like https://github.com/cpan-authors/IPC-Run/issues/175
> NetBSD-10-specific behavior coping.

1) Sometimes hangs hard on windows if started processes have not been shut
down before script exits. I've mostly encountered this via the buildfarm /
CI, so I never had a good way of narrowing this down. It's very painful
because things seem to often just get stuck once that happens.

2) If a subprocess dies in an inopportune moment, IPC::Run dies with "ack
Broken pipe:" (in _do_filters()). There's plenty reports of this on the
list, and I've hit this several times personally. It seems to be timing
dependent, I've encountered it after seemingly irrelevant ordering changes.

I suspect I could create a reproducer with a bit of time.

3) It's very slow on windows (in addition to the windows process
slowness). That got to be fixable to some degree.

Greetings,

Andres Freund