Re: BUG #18476: Debian Install Docs have confusing code block structure

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: matthias(dot)hoermann(at)saltation(dot)com, pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18476: Debian Install Docs have confusing code block structure
Date: 2024-05-24 10:20:05
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-www

Moved thread to pgsql-www.

On 2024-May-23, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> On https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/debian/ the commands to
> manually install the repository and the commands to install packages from
> the repository are in one big code block and the text before it suggests
> that this code block is optional if you use the script above it. However the
> script (without parameters at least) only installs the repository, not the
> packages from the repository. Maybe two code blocks were accidentally merged
> here and the text in between deleted?

I agree, it doesn't look good to have a button for "copy script" that
includes a line that installs a package after having enabled the repo.
Much less one that does so without asking for confirmation! That line
should be separate.

I think the attached patch achieves that, but
1) it's untested
2) I'm not sure that a "Copy Script" button is really all that useful
for the "apt install" line, so maybe that part of this patch should be
scrapped.

--
Álvaro Herrera 48°01'N 7°57'E — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"People get annoyed when you try to debug them." (Larry Wall)

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Split-the-install-script-in-download-linux-debian.patch text/x-diff 2.3 KB