Re: Ask about bug numbering rules in pgsql-bugs mailing list

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Jiangshan Liu <jiangshan(dot)liu(at)tju(dot)edu(dot)cn>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2024-03-07 14:19:09
Lists: pgsql-www

On 2024-Mar-07, Jiangshan Liu wrote:

> Hello!
> I'm writing my thesis expecting to refer to commit issues on the PostgreSQL website pgsql-bugs mailing list via bug numbering, but I'm concerned that some of the commit issues are not numbered (e.g., https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1958255.PYKUYFuaPT%40aivenlaptop#1bdd1e237c4858f85b0313522c6bad2c ), and I'm curious about this, so I'd like to ask you for what reason this is happening, please! Thank you

We have a web interface to report bugs, which assigns numbers to them;
this interface simply copies the text to an email to the pgsql-bugs
mailing list, including the assigned number. However, many bugs are
reported not via the web interface but instead by direct email to the
same pgsql-bugs mailing list or even to another one (frequently
pgsql-hackers, but others too); these do not get any number. That's
exactly what happened in the case you quote.

We don't have a central bug tracking system.

--
Álvaro Herrera 48°01'N 7°57'E — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/