Re: some new glossary entries

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: some new glossary entries
Date: 2023-05-02 10:24:15
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 2023-May-02, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> + <glossentry id="glossary-lsn">
> + <glossterm>LSN</glossterm>
> + <glosssee otherterm="glossary-log-sequence-number"/>
> + </glossentry>
>
> The other <glosssee otherterm="foo" /> entries doesn't have a glossentry id
> attribute set, is the use here related to the glossentry.show.acronym param?

I debated with myself for 347d2b07fcc2 on whether to add id attribs to
<glosssee> entries. The only saving grace for doing that is that you
can link to such entries; but if you do that, you're only causing the
user one more click in order to see the definition they want to see. So
in the end I decided not make the glosssee's directly referenceable.
And I think this new entry shouldn't have an id either.

I think that what glossentry.show.acronym allows is to show the
<acronym> text that's part of the main entry:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28869578/docbook-5-rendering-without-abbrev-tag/28879785#28879785
so the fact that there's an id in the other entry doesn't change
anything.

If we do turn glossentry.show.acronym on (and I don't see any reason not
to), we can follow up later to add <acronym> and <abbrev> tags to other
entries, too.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"I'm always right, but sometimes I'm more right than other times."