Re: Rework LogicalOutputPluginWriterUpdateProgress

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, "wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <wangw(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fabrice Chapuis <fabrice636861(at)gmail(dot)com>, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Petr Jelinek <petr(dot)jelinek(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tanghy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Rework LogicalOutputPluginWriterUpdateProgress
Date: 2023-02-13 18:00:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-02-13 08:22:34 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2023 at 3:04 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> >
> > > One difference I see with the patch is that I think we will end up
> > > sending keepalive for empty prepared transactions even though we don't
> > > skip sending begin/prepare messages for those.
> >
> > With the proposed approach we reliably know whether a callback wrote
> > something, so we can tune the behaviour here fairly easily.
> >

> I would like to clarify a few things about the proposed approach. In
> commit_cb_wrapper()/prepare_cb_wrapper(), the patch first did
> ctx->did_write = false;, then call the commit/prepare callback (which
> will call pgoutput_commit_txn()/pgoutput_prepare_txn()) and then call
> update_progress() which will make decisions based on ctx->did_write
> flag. Now, for this to work pgoutput_commit_txn/pgoutput_prepare_txn
> should know that the transaction has performed some writes before that
> call which is currently working because pgoutput is tracking the same
> via sent_begin_txn.

I don't really see these as being related. What pgoutput does internally to
optimize for some usecases shouldn't matter to the larger infrastructure.

> Is the intention here that we still track whether BEGIN () has been sent via
> pgoutput?

Yes. If somebody later wants to propose tracking this alongside a txn and
passing that to the output plugin callbacks, we can do that. But that's
independent of fixing the broken architecture of the progress infrastructure.

Greetings,

Andres Freund