Re: Index corruption revealed after upgrade to 11.17, could date back to at least 11.12

From: "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index corruption revealed after upgrade to 11.17, could date back to at least 11.12
Date: 2022-10-28 20:24:47
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2022-10-28 17:23:02 +0300, Kristjan Mustkivi wrote:
> By the way, index rebuild while completing successfully did not fix
> the indexes - the data in the tables was still missing even after the
> successful rebuild command.

This is surprising. As I understand it, REINDEX scans the complete table
and builds a new index. So after a REINDEX the index should be complete
and usable.

However, reading
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-reindex.html I'm unsure what
happens if you have issued a REINDEX for a table, schema, etc. and
rebuilding an index fails: Does it abort at that time or does it just
issue a notice and continue to rebuild the other indexes? In the latter
case it migh be easy to miss a problem.

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Story must make more sense than reality.
|_|_) | |
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | challenge!"