Re: Why were some .mo files removed for the August 2022 minor release?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: "higuchi(dot)daisuke(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <higuchi(dot)daisuke(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-translators(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-translators(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why were some .mo files removed for the August 2022 minor release?
Date: 2022-09-05 07:27:48
Lists: pgsql-translators

On 2022-Sep-05, higuchi(dot)daisuke(at)fujitsu(dot)com wrote:

> I noticed that PostgreSQL 11.17 rpm did not have share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/plpgsql-11.mo.
> This is because 'ro' has been removed in src/pl/plpgsql/src/nls.mk by Translation updates commit (*).
> And PostgreSQL 12.12 rpm also does not have share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/pg_ctl-12.mo.
> I got the rpms from the following URL:

> Is it correct to remove any language from nls.mk in minor version updates?
> Or was it removed for some other reason?

Hmm, that's odd. That nls.mk should not have been modified in that
commit. I have no explanation for this, but it was definitely not
intentional. I must have made a merge mistake as I was running that
script for the first time since years. (I ran it with the deletion
switch, then reverted that and re-ran without it.)

Anyway, the state of many of our translations is very sad. Romanian is
one of those that is slowly dying from a state that was, as I remember,
never very good.

--
Álvaro Herrera