Re: 34.16. The Password File error re windows pgpass.conf location

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: coleman(dot)rik(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 34.16. The Password File error re windows pgpass.conf location
Date: 2022-08-09 03:36:55
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 08, 2022 at 05:45:38PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> > On this page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/libpq-pgpass.html
> > It incorrectly states:
> > %APPDATA%\postgresql\pgpass.conf
> > In reality this files needs to be placed here on a Windows system:
> > %APPDATA%\Roaming\postgresql\pgpass.conf
> > ^^^^^^^^
>
> Hmm ... that text has been like that since 2005, and you're the first
> to report it's wrong. I suspect it's not wrong for the majority of
> users, and instead there's something odd about your configuration.
> I don't know enough about Windows to guess at exactly what.

The code uses "CSIDL_APPDATA" for the root directory containing
postgresql/pgpass.conf. According to
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/usmt/usmt-recognized-environment-variables,
it's the same as APPDATA, and the "Roaming" part should be part of it:

> CSIDL_APPDATA
> The file-system directory that serves as a common repository for
> application-specific data. A typical path is C:\Documents and
> Settings\username\Application Data or C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming.

So it doesn't look like anything changed there recently, and maybe the OP did
some unusual configuration there.