Re: [Commitfest 2022-07] Patch Triage: Needs Review, Part 1

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Gareth Palmer <gareth(dot)palmer3(at)gmail(dot)com>, Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ekaterina Sokolova <e(dot)sokolova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Alexander Pyhalov <a(dot)pyhalov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Commitfest 2022-07] Patch Triage: Needs Review, Part 1
Date: 2022-07-29 06:38:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 02:28:23PM -0700, Jacob Champion wrote:

> = Stalled Patches, Need Help =
> [...]
> - Add extra statistics to explain for Nested Loop
>
> I think the author is hoping for help with testing and performance
> characterization.

As I mentioned in [1], this patch breaks the current assumption that
INSTRUMENT_ALL will lead to statement-level metrics that are generally useful.
According to the benchmark, the proposed patch would add a 1.5% overhead for
pg_stat_statements or any other similar extension that relies on INSTRUMENT_ALL
for no additional information, and I don't think it's acceptable.

I'm still not sure of what is the best way to fix that, but clearly something
has to be done, ideally without requiring every single pg_stat_statements-like
extension to be modified.

> The following are actively being worked and I expect to move them to
> next CF:
>
> - session variables, LET command

Yes please.