Re: External psql editor

From: Steve Litt <slitt(at)troubleshooters(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: External psql editor
Date: 2022-05-03 05:49:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane said on Mon, 02 May 2022 17:27:15 -0400

>Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com> writes:
>> On Mon, 2 May 2022, Reid Thompson wrote:
>>> I believe that psql also uses readline, so my thought was that
>>> maybe these instructions could enable you to map the 'move'
>>> keystrokes that you're familiar with to be used while on the psql
>>> command line. A very quick test seems to indicate that you can.
>
>> Nope. No difference.
>
>Perhaps your psql is built against libedit rather than readline.

If this is indeed true, he can give his psql readline capabilities by
installing rlwrap and performing the following command:

rlwrap psql

HTH,

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2022 featured book: Making Mental Models: Advanced Edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mmm