Re: shared-memory based stats collector - v68

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar(dot)ahmad(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, gkokolatos(at)protonmail(dot)com, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: shared-memory based stats collector - v68
Date: 2022-04-04 22:44:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2022-04-04 15:24:24 -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> Replacing the existing assert(!kind->fixed_amount) with
> assert(!kind->accessed_across_databases) produces the same result as the
> later presently implies the former.

I wasn't proposing to replace, but to add...

> Now I start to dislike the behavioral aspect of the attribute and would
> rather just name it: kind->is_cluster_scoped (or something else that is
> descriptive of the stat category itself, not how it is used)

I'm not in love with the name either. But cluster is just a badly overloaded
word :(.

system_wide? Or invert it and say: database_scoped? I think I like the latter.

> Then reorganize the Kind documentation to note and emphasize these two
> primary descriptors:
> variable, which can be cluster or database scoped
> fixed, which are cluster scoped by definition

Hm. There's not actually that much difference between cluster/non-cluster wide
scope for most of the system. I'm not strongly against, but I'm also not
really seeing the benefit.

> (if this is true...but given this is an optimization category I'm thinking
> maybe it doesn't actually matter...)

It is true. Not sure what you mean with "optimization category"?

Greetings,

Andres Freund