Re: turn fastgetattr and heap_getattr to inline functions

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: turn fastgetattr and heap_getattr to inline functions
Date: 2022-03-24 14:32:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2022-Mar-24, Japin Li wrote:

> I want to know why we do not use the following style?
>
> +static inline Datum
> +heap_getattr(HeapTuple tup, int attnum, TupleDesc tupleDesc, bool *isnull)
> +{
> + if (attnum > 0)
> + {
> + if (attnum > (int) HeapTupleHeaderGetNatts(tup->t_data))
> + return getmissingattr(tupleDesc, attnum, isnull);
> + else
> + return fastgetattr(tup, attnum, tupleDesc, isnull);
> + }
> +
> + return heap_getsysattr(tup, attnum, tupleDesc, isnull);
> +}

That was the first thing I wrote, but I can't get myself to like it.
For this one function the code flow is obvious enough; but if you apply
the same idea to fastgetattr(), the result is not nice at all.

If there are enough votes for doing it this way, I can do that.

I guess we could do something like this instead, which seems somewhat
less bad:

if (attnum <= 0)
return heap_getsysattr(...)
if (likely(attnum <= HeapTupleHeaderGetNattrs(...)))
return fastgetattr(...)

return getmissingattr(...)

but I still prefer the one in the v2 patch I posted.

It's annoying that case 0 (InvalidAttrNumber) is not well handled
anywhere.

--
Álvaro Herrera Breisgau, Deutschland — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/