Re: SELECT DISTINCT <constant> scans the table?

From: Markus Demleitner <msdemlei(at)ari(dot)uni-heidelberg(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SELECT DISTINCT <constant> scans the table?
Date: 2021-12-17 09:19:37
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear Tom,

On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 03:47:57PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Markus Demleitner <msdemlei(at)ari(dot)uni-heidelberg(dot)de> writes:
> > Maximally stripped down, my problem is that
>
> > select distinct 300 from <bigtable>
>
> > seqscans <bigtable> (at least in PostgreSQL 11.14). To me, it seems
> > obvious that this ought be be just one row containing 300 once
> > Postgres has established that <bigtable> is nonempty.
>
> That seems like the sort of optimization that we absolutely should
> not spend cycles looking for. If it were a trivial change consuming
> no detectable number of planning cycles, maybe it would be worth the
> development and maintenance effort; though I'd be dubious about the
> value. But the fact that it'd have to be transformed into something
> testing whether the table is nonempty makes it fairly nontrivial.
> I doubt it's worth the development cost plus the cycles imposed
> on every other query.

I certainly understand that reasoning for this particular example.
However, in my actual use case, the one with the view consisting of a
large union containing constants from the original mail,

CREATE VIEW a_view AS (
SELECT 'abc' as coll, ...
FROM table1 -- with perhaps 1e6 rows
UNION
SELECT 'def' as coll, ...
FROM table2 -- with perhaps another 1e7 rows
UNION
SELECT coll, ... -- with an index on table3.coll
FROM table3
...)

being able to factor out constants would make a difference of
milliseconds versus a long time (~ a minute in my case, with about
1e8 total rows) when running SELECT DISTINCT coll FROM a_view.

Is there, perhaps, a non-obvious way to give the planner a nudge to
exploit the constant-ness of coll in table1 and table2?

Thanks,

Markus