Re: Some RELKIND macro refactoring

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Some RELKIND macro refactoring
Date: 2021-11-23 15:09:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Nov-19, Michael Paquier wrote:

> I think that you should keep this block as it is now. The part where
> a relkind does not support table AMs and does not require storage
> would get uncovered, and this new code would just attempt to create
> storage, so it seems to me that the existing code is better when it
> comes to prevent mistakes from developers? You could as well use an
> else if (RELKIND_INDEX || RELKIND_SEQUENCE) for
> RelationCreateStorage(), and fall back to Assert(false) in the else
> branch, to get the same result as the original without impacting the
> level of safety of the original code.

Hmm, I think the added condition and else would make it safe and clear:

+ if (RELKIND_HAS_TABLE_AM(rel->rd_rel->relkind))
+ table_relation_set_new_filenode(rel, &rel->rd_node,
+ relpersistence,
+ relfrozenxid, relminmxid);
+ else if (RELKIND_HAS_STORAGE(rel->rd_rel->relkind))
+ RelationCreateStorage(rel->rd_node, relpersistence);
+ else
+ Assert(false);

This is the same coding the patch proposed to put in
RelationSetNewRelfilenode, which IMO validates the idea.

In init_fork(), there's a typo:

+ * For tables, the AM callback creates both the main and the init fork.
should read:
+ * For tables, the AM callback creates both the main and the init forks.

In heap_create_with_catalog, you have

+ if (!relid)
should be
+ if (!OidIsValid(relid))