Re: max_slot_wal_keep_size unit is not specified

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: b1000101(at)pm(dot)me, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: max_slot_wal_keep_size unit is not specified
Date: 2021-11-23 14:21:05
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 2021-Nov-22, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> The unit (I assume it's MB) of max_slot_wal_keep_size is not explicitly
> specified in the docs. If it's intentional then please, disregards, but I've
> not been able to deduct that from this page alone. Thanks!

Well, that's embarrasing. I'll see about fixing it.

It is a size-based unit. You would typically specify some unit (say,
MB) together with the number; internally, because the way this works is
in terms of whole files, it is rounded down to an integer number of WAL
segments. If you don't specify a unit, it is taken to be a number of
megabytes.

I wonder why did we make it round down rather than up. Does this mean
that if you have max_slot_wal_keep_size=8MB and wal segments of 16 MB,
the slot gets invalidated with more than zero reserved segments?

Thanks for reporting.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"I'm impressed how quickly you are fixing this obscure issue. I came from