Re: pgsql: Reference test binary using TESTDIR in 001_libpq_pipeline.pl.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Reference test binary using TESTDIR in 001_libpq_pipeline.pl.
Date: 2021-10-18 14:23:48
Lists: pgsql-committers

On 2021-Oct-17, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> +sub find_built_program
> +{
> + my $program = shift;
> + my $path;
> +
> + if (defined $ENV{MSBUILDDIR})
> + {
> + # vcregress.pl sets MSBUILDDIR which is the root of all the build dirs
> + my $wanted = sub { $_ eq "$program.exe" && $path = $File::Find::name;};
> + File::Find::find($wanted,$ENV{MSBUILDDIR});
> + }

Hmm, it seems weird to have to use File::Find when we already know where
the program is, right? I mean, per your previous patch, we know that
the program is in $MSBUILDDIR/libpq_pipeline/libpq_pipeline.exe, so why
don't we make this one be

if (defined $ENV{MSBUILDDIR})
{
return $ENV{MSBUILDDIR} . "$program/$program.exe";
}

?

I noticed that drongo is still red, and reporting that no tests are
being run. While this makes sense (because the list of tests is
obtained by running libpq_pipeline), I am surprised that this isn't
reported as such. I would have expected it to die with an error message
starting with "oops: " ... did run_command() fail to return stderr?

... oh, run_command() seems a bit too optimistic: it doesn't check
whether IPC::Run::run() failed. I think that's worth fixing
independently.

--
Álvaro Herrera PostgreSQL Developer — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
Subversion to GIT: the shortest path to happiness I've ever heard of