Re: extended stats objects are the only thing written like "%s"."%s"

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
Subject: Re: extended stats objects are the only thing written like "%s"."%s"
Date: 2021-08-28 18:25:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Aug-28, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> Note that check constraints and indexes have the same schema as their table, so
> \d doesn't show a schema at all, and quotes the name of the object. That
> distinction may be relevant to how stats objects ended up being quoted like
> this.

Yeah, this was the rationale for including the schema name here.

I think using "%s.%s" as is done everywhere else is pretty much
pointless. It's not usable as an object identifier, since you have to
make sure to remove the existing quotes, and unless the names work
without quotes, you have to add different quotes. So it looks «nice»
but it's functionally more work.

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W — https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"But static content is just dynamic content that isn't moving!"