Re: Failure in subscription test 004_sync.pl

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Date: 2021-06-14 20:40:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Jun-14, Masahiko Sawada wrote:

> The condition should be the opposite; we should raise the error when
> 'nowait' is true. I think this is the cause of the test failure. Even
> if DROP SUBSCRIPTION tries to drop the slot with the WAIT option, we
> don't wait but raise the error.

Hi, thanks for diagnosing this and producing a patch! I ended up
turning the condition around, so that all three stanzas still test
"!nowait"; which seems a bit easier to follow.

TBH I'm quite troubled by the fact that this test only failed once on
each animal; they all had a lot of successful runs after that. I wonder
if this is because coverage is insufficient, or is it just bad luck.

I also wonder if this bug is what caused the random failures in the test
case I tried to add. I should look at that some more now ...

--
Álvaro Herrera Valdivia, Chile
Al principio era UNIX, y UNIX habló y dijo: "Hello world\n".