Re: Duplicate history file?

From: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: tatsuro(dot)yamada(dot)tf(at)nttcom(dot)co(dot)jp
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Duplicate history file?
Date: 2021-06-04 07:21:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At Thu, 03 Jun 2021 21:52:08 +0900 (JST), Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in

> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/continuous-archiving.html
> > The archive command should generally be designed to refuse to
> > overwrite any pre-existing archive file. This is an important safety
> > feature to preserve the integrity of your archive in case of
> > administrator error (such as sending the output of two different
> > servers to the same archive directory).
>
> I'm not sure how we should treat this.. Since archive must store
> files actually applied to the server data, just being already archived
> cannot be the reason for omitting archiving. We need to make sure the
> new file is byte-identical to the already-archived version. We could
> compare just *restored* file to the same file in pg_wal but it might
> be too much of penalty for for the benefit. (Attached second file.)

(To recap: In a replication set using archive, startup tries to
restore WAL files from archive before checking pg_wal directory for
the desired file. The behavior itself is intentionally designed and
reasonable. However, the restore code notifies of a restored file
regardless of whether it has been already archived or not. If
archive_command is written so as to return error for overwriting as we
suggest in the documentation, that behavior causes archive failure.)

After playing with this, I see the problem just by restarting a
standby even in a simple archive-replication set after making
not-special prerequisites. So I think this is worth fixing.

With this patch, KeepFileRestoredFromArchive compares the contents of
just-restored file and the existing file for the same segment only
when:

- archive_mode = always
and - the file to restore already exists in pgwal
and - it has a .done and/or .ready status file.

which doesn't happen usually. Then the function skips archive
notification if the contents are identical. The included TAP test is
working both on Linux and Windows.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment Content-Type Size
duplicate_archive_test.patch text/x-patch 2.4 KB
avoid_duplicate_archiving_PoC2.patch text/x-patch 2.6 KB