Re: pg_stat_statements requires compute_query_id

From: Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_statements requires compute_query_id
Date: 2021-05-10 14:43:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Pavel,

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 04:36:16PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:

> I tested features of Postgres 14. The extension pg_stat_statements didn't
> work to me until I enabled compute_query_id. Is it expected behaviour?

Yes.

> I expected just an empty column query_id and workable extension. This
> doesn't look well.
>
> More, it increases the (little bit) complexity of migration to Postgres 14.

This was already raised multiple times, and the latest discussion can be found
at [1].

Multiple options have been suggested, but AFAICT there isn't a clear consensus
on what we should do exactly, so I've not been able to send a fix yet.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/35457b09-36f8-add3-1d07-6034fa585ca8%40oss.nttdata.com