Re: [PyGreSQL] Latest PyGreSQL package for pgdg-common requires libpq5

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: PyGreSQL Development <pygresql(at)Vex(dot)Net>
Cc: Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, pgsql-pkg-yum(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PyGreSQL] Latest PyGreSQL package for pgdg-common requires libpq5
Date: 2021-05-06 18:04:28
Lists: pgsql-pkg-yum

On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 10:35:20AM -0700, Evan Rempel wrote:
> repository:
> https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/common/redhat/rhel-7-x86_64/

That's built by Devrim et al (copied) and not by the pygres team.

> Previous builds of the PyGreSQL had an rpm requires list that included only
> libpq.so.5()(64bit)
>
> The latest build contains a requires list of
> libpq.so.5()(64bit)
> libpq5
>
> The inclusion of the libpq5 requirement forces the install of the
> pgdg-common package libpq5 which conflicts with the Redhat 7 package
> postgresql-libs
>
> What it intentional to start requiring the package libpq5 or could the
> PyGreSQL package be set back to nly require the libpq.so.5()(64bit) which is
> satisfied by the Redhat 7 package postgresql-libs?

I'm not sure, but there's also features which require recent client library, so
there's a balance between 1) not requiring brand new dependencies; and 2)
making new features available (without waiting for 5 years until their in the
then-oldest release).

This is one new feature:

--
Justin