Re: MaxOffsetNumber for Table AMs

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MaxOffsetNumber for Table AMs
Date: 2021-05-05 18:22:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2021-05-05 13:32:57 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> I don't know what to say here. I think it's unrealistic to believe
> that a very new API that has only 1 in-core user is going to be fully
> stable, or that we can know how it might evolve. I can understand why
> you and probably other people want that, but if somebody figures out a
> way to make some part of core significantly better and it requires
> changing that API, they're going to change the API, not give up on the
> idea.

Yea. I think it would be actively *bad* if tableam were too
stable. tableam is at best an 80% solution to the abstraction needs
(those 80% were pretty painful to achieve already, I don't think we
could have gotten much more initially). If we get cornered into not
evolving the API because of 2-3 external users, we're a) going to live
with a leaky abstraction for much longer b) getting more hesitant to
work incrementally. Both would be bad.

Greetings,

Andres Freund