Re: Odd OS, SAN or related throughput issue affecting large streamer

From: Johannes Truschnigg <johannes(at)truschnigg(dot)info>
To: Jerry Sievers <gsievers19(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Odd OS, SAN or related throughput issue affecting large streamer
Date: 2021-03-23 18:07:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Jerry.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 12:25:35PM -0500, Jerry Sievers wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> [...]
> Suggestions re where to look next?

Have you looked at the usual OS-level metrics yet?

Does the process that applies the streamed WAL to the secondary's database
exhibit high CPU load when the slowdown starts becoming noticeable? Check by
using `top` and `mpstat`.

Does I/O latency spike/increase during that time? Maybe your system is
beginning to page data in and out? Check by using `iostat` and `vmstat`.

If you can identify a/the metric that changes when your troubles begin to
manifest, we should be able to help you drill down to the root cause of it all
much better.

--
with best regards:
- Johannes Truschnigg ( johannes(at)truschnigg(dot)info )

www: https://johannes.truschnigg.info/
phone: +43 650 2 133337
xmpp: johannes(at)truschnigg(dot)info

Please do not bother me with HTML-email or attachments. Thank you.